Adding flavors and ingredients is the best thing you can do with your morning oatmeal. My cousin suggested making oatmeal with nutmeg and chopped dates (mixed & cooked with it rather than added on top). I liked the idea and decided to go on and create a new flavored oatmeal. Then I thought about adding more flavors to it like cardamom, saffron and ground ginger.
Now talking about the name, when I decided to add the above flavors, this name directly came to my mind. Why? Well, cardamom is significantly used as a spice to flavor traditional sweets and beverages like Coffee and tea in the Middle East, and having a bowl of oatmeal full of rich aroma especially cardamom and the other flavors reminded me of drinking flavored Arabic coffee with a piece of Basbousa, so I thought of calling this dish “Arabian Morning Oatmeal”!
Now you can unleash your tasting buds and try this delicious and tasty oatmeal 😀
Arabian Morning Oatmeal
- two cups milk
- one cup oats ( I use quick cooking Quaker Oats)
- 1/8 tsp. of the following: Cardamom, Saffron, Ground Ginger, Cinnamon, Nutmeg.
- 6 dates pitted and chopped
- 2 tsps. Sweetener of your choice or you can skip it since the dates are sweet! (healthier choice)
- Pour milk in a saucepan, add the chopped dates, Cardamom, Saffron, Ground Ginger, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and sweetener and bring to the boil.
- Add oats and keep stirring till it thickens up
- Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
** this recipe makes 2 servings.
Enjoy your warm Morning Oatmeal ❤